Nest Thermostat Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How hard was it to to install your Nest?

5 posters

Go down

How hard was it to install your Nest?

How hard was it to to install your Nest? I_vote_lcap0%How hard was it to to install your Nest? I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
How hard was it to to install your Nest? I_vote_lcap100%How hard was it to to install your Nest? I_vote_rcap 100% 
[ 4 ]
How hard was it to to install your Nest? I_vote_lcap0%How hard was it to to install your Nest? I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 4

How hard was it to to install your Nest? Empty How hard was it to to install your Nest?

Post  Admin Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:07 pm

It took me about 4 hours, but that included the wait time between two coats of paint. I'd say installing my nest was moderately difficult. My wiring was simple. Only two wires to the heating system. No A/C for me. I had some trouble with the dry wall screws. The plastic pieces provided broke. I found some extras in my basement and used them successfully. I also had some of the original paint so I could cover up the area that had been hiding behind my old rectangular unit. I was able to connect to my home wi-fi easily. The set-up menus were easy too.

Admin
Admin

https://nestthermostat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

How hard was it to to install your Nest? Empty Re: How hard was it to to install your Nest?

Post  Sac D Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:34 am

Admin wrote:It took me about 4 hours, but that included the wait time between two coats of paint. I'd say installing my nest was moderately difficult. My wiring was simple. Only two wires to the heating system. No A/C for me. I had some trouble with the dry wall screws. The plastic pieces provided broke. I found some extras in my basement and used them successfully. I also had some of the original paint so I could cover up the area that had been hiding behind my old rectangular unit. I was able to connect to my home wi-fi easily. The set-up menus were easy too.

About an hour for me... which included patching where the old thermostat had been, and painting that and about 10 sq ft of the wall around it. Of course I didn't wait for the paint to dry completely - that would have been too easy, right? Everything else was super easy once I verified which of my 7 wires weren't needed any more.
Sac D
Sac D

Back to top Go down

How hard was it to to install your Nest? Empty Installed 2

Post  ryanbuck Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:19 am

It took me about 2 hours to install 2 thermostats. The wiring and mounting took less than 30 minutes between the two devices. The majority of the time was spent waiting for download --> install --> backup --> repeat. Configuration was simple and the Nest.com account creation was ideal. Really JUST a username and password. The first thermostat was manually entered into my account by using the handshake keys from the device. The second device added itself after I confirmed approval.

ryanbuck

Back to top Go down

How hard was it to to install your Nest? Empty Installation difficult- broken nest?

Post  jab Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:11 pm

I installed the actual hardware OK but nest seems not to function with my AC. Been struggling 8 days now.
I had Rc, Y, W , G wires installed and the cooling fan would occasionally drop out when cooling was called. Vin dropped to 6 volts when AC on, 27 volts with AC off.
On the suggestion of tech support, I hooked up the common C wire (Blue). With a voltmeter we tested that the common was OK. (27 VAC between Red and C) When the nest was attached, Vin dropped to 4 volts, the thermostat worked but eventually the battery discharged. Tech level 2 support at Nest indicated they think I have and incompatible system but I think my Nest is broken out of the box? Anyone out there to comment?

jab

Back to top Go down

How hard was it to to install your Nest? Empty 30-45 mins

Post  marklyn Thu May 03, 2012 3:47 pm

It tookme about 30-45 mins to do it. I think it was easier than a standard thermostat due to the instructions on the display, wiring verification, online videos, etc. This thing was very well thought out and intuitively laid out.

marklyn

Back to top Go down

How hard was it to to install your Nest? Empty Re: How hard was it to to install your Nest?

Post  Thermostat Fri May 04, 2012 8:10 pm

jab wrote:I installed the actual hardware OK but nest seems not to function with my AC. Been struggling 8 days now.
I had Rc, Y, W , G wires installed and the cooling fan would occasionally drop out when cooling was called. Vin dropped to 6 volts when AC on, 27 volts with AC off.
On the suggestion of tech support, I hooked up the common C wire (Blue). With a voltmeter we tested that the common was OK. (27 VAC between Red and C) When the nest was attached, Vin dropped to 4 volts, the thermostat worked but eventually the battery discharged. Tech level 2 support at Nest indicated they think I have and incompatible system but I think my Nest is broken out of the box? Anyone out there to comment?

jab what was manufacture and model number of the existing thermostat that you replaced? Did you have any issues with your existing thermostat?

Thermostat

http://www.thermostatforums.com

Back to top Go down

How hard was it to to install your Nest? Empty install

Post  wgift46 Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:04 pm

The install and setup took less that 30 minutes. It's been in operation now for 24 hrs and no glitches. The Nest was the easiest product I have ever installed. The directions and the videos were top notch and easy to understand. I just had to make sure I didn't over-think the project like I do with PC's

wgift46

Back to top Go down

Post  Imola.ZHP Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:08 pm

I chose the second option probably because I came from using a different brand wi-fi thermostat. It was, however, easier to install than that thermostat which had connectivity issues at first and a complicated way of getting established on the wifi network. I also had to hook up the constant power wire before that thermostat worked, so this was already done when I installed the Nest...

Imola.ZHP

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down